How Chewing Betel Nuts Can Affect Your Teeth
Betel nuts have a long history, especially in the South-East Asian and Pacific regions. Essentially the seed of a type of palm tree, chewing betel nut is found to give a temporary adrenaline boost. However, this comes with its associated dangers. Ranked fourth in the list of most psychoactive substances in the world (after caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine), it presents clear dangers to a person’s oral health and overall physical well-being. The World Health Organization and International Agency for Research on Cancer classified betel nut as a group 1 human carcinogen.
Here are a few points that demonstrate how betel nuts can affect your teeth:
- One of the distinctive features of betel nut is that it leaves a red or purple residue in the mouth. This coats the teeth and can lead to permanent discolouration.
- Classified as a carcinogen by the WHO, research has revealed a link between chewing betel nut and cancers of the mouth and esophagus.
- Continuous chewing of betel nut can lead to tooth decay and irritation in the gums.
- Betel nut users can also be in danger of contracting ‘Oral Submucous Fibrosis’, a terminal condition that causes stiffness and possibly complete loss of movement in the jaw.
- Usage of betel nut can also react with other drugs and cause toxic side-effects to certain medications.
Due to these reasons, the consumption of betel nut is not advisable.
Sparkling Water and Dental Erosion
Drinking sparkling water may seem like a tasty way to drink more water throughout the day, especially given that it does not contain the sugar content of sodas. However, research shows that it is not recommended for your oral health. Sparkling water contains a high acidic content which can leave you up to 11 times more vulnerable to tooth related ailments like decay and tooth erosion. When trying […]
Do You Drink Soft Drinks?
Many people enjoy consuming soft drinks. While the occasional soft drink is acceptable, consuming them long term can be detrimental for your health. With more and more research being dedicated to the effects of junk food on the human body, the real ramifications of soft drinks on a person’s health are becoming more clear. Drinking sodas have already been linked to […]
Missing teeth, as a result of extractions, can be difficult. Missing teeth can alter a person’s speaking ability, ease of eating and their self-confidence. This can be solved by utilizing dental implants, which not only restore oral health but also have an effect on a person’s general well-being. A few advantages of dental implants are listed below: The most important function of teeth is to […]